- There is only 1 week till NECSS 2009, and tickets are still available! NYC Skeptics quickly sold out of its stock of tickets, so head over to Ticketmaster or the French Institute box office to get yours today. If you are planning on purchasing your tickets the “day of” you might be out of luck, as the auditorium is already 90% sold out. We’re expecting a full house, so don’t miss out!
- Don’t forget about the special Drinking Skeptically taking place the evening before NECSS at Dewey’s Flatiron in Madison Square at 8PM (click here for more info). Attendance is free; there is no need to purchase a NECSS ticket to attend (however, we encourage everyone to attend the conference!).
- If you haven’t already, please join the NECSS Facebook group and subscribing to the NECSS and NYC Skeptics Twitter feeds. It’s the best way to stay informed about the conference and be aware of up-to-date goings on!
- The Village Voice covers Paul Grosswald’s recent NYC Skeptics Public Lecture on “Cults & Coercion”
- Professor Richard Wiseman will be at NECSS! Professor Wiseman will join the “Why is it so tough to be a skeptic?” panel and be the special guest on the live Skeptics Guide to the Universe taping.
- The NECSS schedule has been released, and can be viewed here.
- We have a limited number of NECSS tickets still available for purchase at nycskeptics.org (no fees!). To ensure delivery before September 12, these tickets will only be available for sale at at nycskeptics.org through August 31 (or while our supplies last). At that point all remaining tickets must be purchased through Ticketmaster or the French Institute box office.
If it’s Friday, it must be the latest at NYC Skeptics:
- Don’t forget to join us tomorrow Saturday 15 at 1PM for Paul Grosswald’s lecture “Cults and Coercion: How Ordinary People are Turned into Extraordinary Fanatics” at the New York Public Library, Jefferson Market Branch – 425 Avenue of the Americas @ 10th St.
- Drinking Skeptically@ NECSS -There’s no better way to kick off NECSS than relaxing, chatting, and – yes – drinking with fellow skeptics. Join us 8PM Friday September 11 at Dewey’s Flatiron (210 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY). Attendance is free; there is no need to purchase a NECSS ticket to attend (however, we encourage everyone to attend the conference!).
- Due to popular demand, you may now purchase NECSS tickets directly from the NYC Skeptics website at, bypassing the Ticketmaster and Box Office convenience charges. Don’t forget to join NYC Skeptics before purchasing your ticket to receive a 20% discount.
- If you haven’t already done so, stay updated about NECSS by joining the NECSS Facebook group, or subscribing to the NYC Skeptics or NECSS Twitter feeds.
Tickets are going fast, so don’t miss the chance to join an all-star line up of skeptical and scientific speakers and panelists at the first Northeast Conference on Science and Skepticism!
Join James Randi, Carl Zimmer, Dr. Paul Offit, George Hrab, NYC Skeptics’ own Jamy Ian Swiss and Massimo Pigliucci, and a dozen other guest speakers (including Steve Novella, Rebecca Watson, and the rest of the SGU “Rogue’s Gallery”) in New York City this Fall at NECSS. (more…)
We are pleased to announce that Massimo Pigliucci will join the NYC Skeptics board of directors, effective immediately. Professor Pigliucci has been an advisor to NYC Skeptics since October of 2008 and is a fixture in the New York City skeptical scene. We are thrilled that he will continue his involvement with NYC Skeptics in a more active role as a member of the board. (more…)